Thank you for your interest in the Interdisciplinary Graduate School of Engineering Sciences (IGSES), Kyushu University.
IGSES has offered a wide range of graduate programs in the academic fields of material science, environmental engineering and energy engineering, as well as interdisciplinary programs since 1979.
The programs can be classified as follows.
1. Types of degrees offered and ther duration.
2. Student recruitment periods
- Master course (2 years)
- The master's degree generally requires 2 academic years for coursework and research and is awarded upon subission of an acceptable thesis.
- To be applicable for this course an applicant must have already been awarded a bachelorfs degree or an equivalent qualification. Students in their final year of undergraduate study may be admitted on the condition that their bachelor's degrees are awarded before they enrol in IGSES.
- Students who have performed exceptionally well in their research may be awarded the Masterfs degree in less than 2 years.
- Doctor course (3 years)
- The doctor's degree is awarded upon the successful examination of an acceptable thesis, usually after 3 years academic research.
- An applicant must already hold a master's degree from a university or an accredited institution, or expect to earn a Masterfs degree before they enrol in IGSES.
- Students who have performed exceptionally well in their research may be awarded their doctorate in less than 3 years.
- Master-Doctor unified course (5 years)
- This course named as the "Advanced Graduate Program in Global Strategy for Green Asia (Green Asia Program)" is a component project of the "Program for Leading Graduate Schools" which is strongly supported by the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) which aims to foster human resources by taking a more holistic view.
- The doctor's degree is awarded upon the successful examination of an acceptable thesis after 5 academic years including 2 years for intensive course work.
Application forms for admissions are posted on the website every year several months before screening procedures.
3. Tests required for admission
Notification of admission is sent to applicants as soon as the review of their applications is complete.
- Writing test and interview in IGSES
- Applicants are evaluated based on a written examination and an oral interview, which is typically held in IGSES.
- Most students from overseas, who are financially supported by a MEXT scholarship and want to apply, come to Japan and enrol in IGSES as research students in advance of taking the entrance examination.
- ONLY hard copies of the application are acceptable and must be submitted by post.
- Applicants are evaluated based upon their provided academic transcripts as well as their letters of recommendation from referees.
- If necessary, interviews may be arranged via Skype.